Hawksworth Executive Catering Chef
Hawksworth Restaurant Group|Back of House|Full Time
Direct Report: Chef David Hawksworth
The Catering Chef is the leading kitchen role at Hawksworth Catering, reporting directly to the Chef Hawksworth. This individual is responsible for upholding the level of excellence and standards to which our team and clientele have grown accustomed. The Catering Chef is a leader and ambassador and is expected to represent Hawksworth Catering not only from a culinary perspective, but a cultural one as well. Inventory management and a keen business sense must be put into practice, as the Catering Chef will be held accountable to all monthly product and small ware inventories. The Catering Chef will oversee all scheduling and HR related matters to all kitchen and BOH departments, ensuring that the team is keeping a healthy balance and receiving schedules in appropriate and timely manner. Lastly, the management of equipment and inventories are a key part of this role and they will play an essential role in ensuring that all practices within the business are carried out responsibly and efficiently, and according to set guidelines.
- Be a hands-on, working chef, this position is 50% administrative and 50% hands-on.
- Oversee kitchen activities, including food preparation, food presentation, and food portioning, kitchen organization and sanitation.
- Creative and inspired menu writing and development.
- Coordinate training and professional development of kitchen staff.
- Supervise and train staff in the preparation and presentation of plated, buffet, and reception foods.
- Supervise and train staff in proper food handling, kitchen sanitation and safety and federal, local and state health code compliance
- Supervise staff with responsibilities for planning, coordinating, and controlling work schedules, and following departmental procedures and policies
- Coordinate activities of one or more functions to effect unity and efficiency of the operation
- Select recipes and cost out food to achieve the necessary profit margins
- Monitor inventory levels to determine when to reorder/requisition
- Application of comprehensive knowledge in culinary techniques with food production in catering operations and knowledge of healthy, local, modern foods. This includes knowledge of vegetarian/vegan and current food trends.
- Recipe and menu development with the ability to be creative and flexible in meeting the needs of our diverse and demanding customer base
- Costing and cost control methods, and experience in forecasting budgets
- Kitchen management with strong supervision and leadership skills and the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff and customers
- Ability to train staff on correct culinary techniques as it relates to a professional kitchen to maintain high quality and service standards
- Computer use in Microsoft Word, Excel as well as Optimum Control.